Aiguille du Midi
The only journey like it in the World !
For more than 50 years, the most famous and highest of the Aiguilles de Chamonix has been an essential world attraction.
In 20 minutes, the Aiguille du Midi cable car, the highest in Europe, climbs more than 2700m and offers a unique journey between the ground and the sky to reach the panoramic terraces where you can put your finger on the World of the High Mountains.
Visitors from all four corners of the Earth mingle here all year round. Mountaineers and guides heading for Mont-Blanc mix comfortably with tourists who have come to admire -in complete safety- the biggest glaciers in Europe and the highest peaks in France, Italy and Switzerland.
Visit the Aiguille du Midi
- The North Column comprises the arrival and departure station, the 3842 m restaurant, the cafeteria, a souvenir shop and a terrace overlooking Chamonix, the Mont-Blanc terrace.
- On the Central Column, the Mont-Blanc gallery leads to the lift which will take you to 3842 m.
- Here, at the summit, the summit terrace offers an exceptional 360°view over Mont- Blanc and the principal peaks of over 4000 m. Not to be missed! From here, you can follow the roped mountaineering teams en route for Mont Blanc.
- Access to Helbronner-Italie in the Mont-Blanc Panoramic cabins can be found by heading for the Rébuffat Terrace.
Organise your visit:
- Provide warm clothing, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Tour not recommended for children under 3 years.
- Time of outward journey: 20 mn in 2 cable cars climbing 2700 m, with a stop on the way at the Plan de l’Aiguille.
- Duration of visit: including the journey, allow an average of 2 to 3 hrs.
- Timetables and frequency of departure vary according to the time of year and according to demand.
- Aiguille du Midi cable car : all year round, except during maintenance periods (please enquire for exact dates).
- Mont-Blanc Panoramic gondola, which connects the top of the Aiguille du Midi to Pointe Helbronner in Italy, is open from June 15th to September 1st 2013.