Aiguille du Midi
The only journey like it in the World !
For more than 50 years, the most famous and highest of the Aiguilles de Chamonix has been an essential world attraction.
In 20 minutes, the Aiguille du Midi cable car, the highest in Europe, climbs more than 2700m and offers a unique journey between the ground and the sky to reach the panoramic terraces where you can put your finger on the World of the High Mountains.
Visitors from all four corners of the Earth mingle here all year round. Mountaineers and guides heading for Mont-Blanc mix comfortably with tourists who have come to admire -in complete safety- the biggest glaciers in Europe and the highest peaks in France, Italy and Switzerland.
STEP INTO THE VOID
Amazing ! The "Step into the void" is an unforgettable technological wonder. More than 1000m of void beneath your feet in a five-sided glass case.
A museographical centre for advanced mountaineering, this mountain climbing museum is the highest ever built!
With large bay windows for admiring the 3 Mounts (Mont Blanc du Tacul, Mont Maudit and Mont-Blanc) from a sheltered viewpoint.
Visiting the Aiguille du Midi:
Inside the departure station the Vertical Café (culinary café/boutique with a lounge mountain touch) allows you to wait comfortably for you cable-car.
Cross the gateway which links the North peak to the Central peak.
Discover the access tunnel to the ridge of the Aiguille du Midi carved out of the ice, departure point for climbers descending into the famous White Valley ("Vallée Blanche").
This takes you over the seracs and crevasses towards the Helbronner Point in Italy. ( Not included in the MONT-BLANC Multipass. Non-stop trip : 50 mins)
Discover the ice vault and enjoy the impressive view of the glacier.
Take the lift up to the summit terrace 3842m high, with a 360° view over the whole of the Alps (Access subject to number of visitors)
Enormous bay windows allow visitors to admire one of the itineraries to the top of Europe, overlooking the Tacul, the Mont Maudit and the Mont-Blanc.
Enjoy an unrivaled panorama of the top of Europe and witness climbers making their way to the Cosmiques refuge.
Contemplate the view of the Bossons Glacier, the ascent of the cable-car, and the whole of the Chamonix Valley down below.
Nearby you will find 2 restoration points : the cafeteria and the 2842 Restaurant.
Go back down to the cable-car departure point and you will discover a retrospective exhibition of the construction of the cable-car with views of the impressive machinery.
Organise your visit:
- Provide warm clothing, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Tour not recommended for children under 3 years.
- Time of outward journey: 20 mn in 2 cable cars climbing 2700 m, with a stop on the way at the Plan de l’Aiguille.
- Duration of visit: including the journey, allow an average of 2 to 3 hrs.
- Timetables and frequency of departure vary according to the time of year and according to demand.
- Aiguille du Midi cable car : all year round, except during maintenance periods (please enquire for exact dates).
- Mont-Blanc Panoramic gondola, which connects the top of the Aiguille du Midi to Pointe Helbronner in Italy, is open from June 15th to September 1st 2013.